Saturday 24 August 2024

SUDDEN CHANGE OF TOPIC - DOCTOR WHO "WARRIORS' GATE"

This blog is dedicated to my autism so I am allowed to change the topic very suddenly to something else I want to talk about. In this case, it's the 1981 Doctor Who serial "Warriors' Gate". I am a huge fan of how weird this is and how it doesn't really make any sense!! 

It went over budget and behind schedule because the director wanted a load of fancy shots which really aren't that fancy but I think were for 1980s television. Also the only other things I can find that the director directed were documentaries about films, so I am really not sure why they got him to direct this. He got fired halfway through (then later rehired) due to the serial going over-budget and behind schedule.

I enjoy the sets even though I think there's only two of them - the Gateway and the slavers' spaceship. The Gateway appears in two forms though, a past form and a present form, the present form being covered in cobwebs and dead Gundan robots. The cobwebbed present form is really creepy looking but they probably did overdo it with the cobwebs (I do not care though, ha ha ha). 


The Gateway and the TARDIS

The Gundan robots also I think look very cool, but I have been told by my friend, who I watched it with yesterday, that they look like plastic, which is probably because they are plastic but that's OK. They were made by the human slaves of the lion people (Tharils), in order to get to the Gateway and kill the Tharils, as the humans could not approach the Gateway because of the time winds (I think). I don't see how that allows the human slavers to approach the Gateway, but maybe that's because its power is gone or something? Unsure.

The Tharils can see through time and even alter time, and they seem kind of like the Time Lords of E-space but then have become enslaved for use as navigators on human spaceships. 

Biroc the Tharil

The captain of the slavers is a guy called Rorvik and he's like a super cheesy villain but his crew just don't care about anything he's saying and only want their money which is quite funny. 

The cliffhanger to part 3 is one of my favourite things ever - rivalled only by the terrifying tiled floor cliffhanger in Death to the Daleks. The Doctor has just found out that the Tharils were the cruel masters that the Gundans were built to fight, and he throws wine on the table in anger. Then Romana says that the Doctor's in danger, rushes down towards him, the Gundans burst into the Gateway and then time changes and we're back to the dusty cobwebbed gateway, surrounded by the slavers. It doesn't make a huge amount of sense to me but I am a big fan.

Watching this story makes me want to write science fiction but then I always realise that writing fiction and especially speech makes me actually just turn inside-out from cringe. 

No comments:

Post a Comment

SUDDEN CHANGE OF TOPIC - DOCTOR WHO "WARRIORS' GATE"

This blog is dedicated to my autism so I am allowed to change the topic very suddenly to something else I want to talk about. In this case, ...