Tuesday 18 June 2024

Cressington railway station

From what I have seen, (so this may be wrong, I will find out later once I have visited and documented more stations!) Cressington, St Michaels and Aigburth are quite different in the way they are constructed. I would imagine this is because of their being part of a seperate railway before they were connected to Merseyrail via the link tunnel during the late 1970s. Brunswick, Liverpool South Parkway and Hunts Cross were added to Merseyrail later, so do not share these design differences. 

In the above image, two class 507s (now shockingly rare!) are going through Cressington station towards Southport, with the bridge being the only way in and out of the Southport-bound platform. This station is once again very inaccessible, as there are no lifts or ramps. The station building has a steep staircase leading up to the street-level ticket office.
The real important stuff at last - the signs!! I think, due to the fact that they have a relatively unusual tone of grey on the bar and obviously use the older form of having the Merseyrail text in the bottom right corner, these running-in boards are from the 1990s or at least have been made to look like it! They are also, unusually, all either set into the wall or on top of a lower wall, rather than using free-standing signs. 


I did also notice this drinking fountain thing, with 1871 on it - 7 years after the station was first opened!! 

No comments:

Post a Comment

SUDDEN CHANGE OF TOPIC - DOCTOR WHO "WARRIORS' GATE"

This blog is dedicated to my autism so I am allowed to change the topic very suddenly to something else I want to talk about. In this case, ...